Definition of Food Habits
In the daily diet of a family or an individual Special foods that are included, that is, the type of food that a person is accustomed to eating every day is called food habits. Nutrition education is needed to develop proper eating habits. Proper eating habits are essential for maintaining a healthy nutrition.
Principles of Healthy Eating
1. You have to eat at a certain time every day.
2. Adults should take food three to four times a day and children four to five times a day.
3. Do not eat anything for four to five hours after each meal.
4. It is always easy to digest and take the right amount of food according to the energy needs of the body.
5. Food should be chewed well.
6. Stale, rotten food cannot be taken.
7. Hands and face should be washed thoroughly before taking food.
8. Always sit in a clean place and take food.
9. Never take food while lying down.
Importance of forming eating habits
1. Good habits are helpful in choosing the right nutrients. Plays an important role in maintaining the health of a person.
2. Eating habits are especially helpful in developing physical and mental health.
3. Eating habits control high blood pressure, low blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, etc.
4. Eating habits help a person to get a good night’s sleep.
5. Eating habits are especially helpful in a person’s digestion.
Reasons for forming certain eating habits:
There are various reasons behind the formation of certain eating habits of people living in an area. Below are some of the reasons-
1. Social factors:
Society plays an important role in the formation of eating habits. In the society in which people live, they adopt the long-established food habits.
2. Regional reasons:
In a region where food is plentiful, the people of that region take that food for granted. For example, rice is the staple food of the people of the region where rice is grown most.
3. Purchasing power:
Purchasing power also plays a special role in shaping human diet. Due to poverty, many people take pulses as their main protein food instead of fish, meat and eggs. Pulses are cheaper than fish, meat and eggs, So many people developed the habit of eating pulses instead of the usual non-vegetarian food.
4. Personal reasons:
The wife develops eating habits according to her personal taste.
5. Geographical reasons:
The geographical location of a region plays an important role in shaping the eating habits of the people of that region.